Monday, November 5, 2012

Motivation for Monday: Every Action



This shot above was taken by my second shooter, Sonia at an October wedding. Sonia has been my super star assistant for 3 weddings this year. I am grateful for her creative eye and attention to detail. You're a blessing to me, Sonia.

Family, friendships, acquaintances, and strangers. The types of people in my life and your life. I've been reading Radical Hospitality: Benedict's Way of Love. It came to my doorstep a few short weeks ago from my sweet sister in law. I have been reading it like I would eat a box of chocolates, one sweet morsel at a time. What a perfect time to read this book, too. We are now in the month of November; the month of Thanksgiving. The idea in this book is simply showing love to those you love, to those you like, dislike, and even those who are strangers. So now you probably want to know who Benedict is. Well, he was a 6th century monk who developed principles for living so that he and the others monks he was living with could grow in Christian spirit together.

Did you know that the simplest form of hospitality is a smile? A smile is welcoming; it extends a kindness without words. Proverbs says that a cheerful look brings joy to the heart (Prov 15:30). What does a smile cost me...nothing and yet it is giving. Hospitality is showing love. Benedict knew that love would only come through practice and effort. It can be exhausting to practice love. Really. I mean, it can't be something fake. It's got to be 100% pure love. Where does love come from? God. Oh my gosh! Do you know what song comes to mind as I write this...Empty Me by Chris Sligh. OH! What a good song.

Our Lord, Jesus smiled upon thousands when He walked the earth. He loved the poor, the sick, the hungry, the outcast. He healed, he hugged, he prayed, he washed feet, he preached, he discipled hearts. He gave all He had for the sake of God and His Kingdom. He gave His life. The very least I can do is smile at a stranger. Lord, empty me of me so that I can be filled with You.

0 comments:

Post a Comment

 
© Karrie Drake Photography