Monday, June 4, 2012

Motivation for Monday: Real Life





Hello and Happy Monday! I was going to post about the gorgeous purple sage in my backyard and drop a picture of the sage in the sunset that I shot last night. I awoke this morning thinking about it and I strongly felt in my heart that God wanted me to be real with you this morning. 
 Before turning on my computer this morning I made chocolate chip muffins for my boys. They love muffins. As I sat them down to eat their muffins I took a look around at my dining space. This is what my dining room looks like 98% of the time. Sunday's coupons from the newspaper sit on the table collecting dust throughout the week until I make the time to cut them. I have miscellaneous items sitting at the end of the table. This week it's a small box, a book, a dvd, my cosmetic bag that I usually keep in my purse, a few press printed cards for an upcoming promo, my camera manual, and my new white balance lens caps that haven't made their way out of the packaging yet. Then there's more clutter on the floor. I get the idea in my head that I want to start something and it takes FOREVER for me to finish it. The scrapbooking, stamps, and other crafty things have been sitting on the floor of my dining room for about 2 weeks. Their rightful place is on a wire shelving rack in the garage. I'll make time to put them back when I conjure up the energy to clean the house. I've got my 2 camera bags resting in the chair at the end of the table because no one sits there anyway. I can easily tuck them under the table if anyone decides to pop by for a visit. I'm not too worried about that though because no one ever does just pop by. There's the other 2%, by the way. The percentage of time that my dining room doesn't look like this is when I clean my house, organize, and declutter. 
Am I complaining? No, not really. This is just our normal. I have had to rest in God's peace about the mess my house stays in most of the time. I am "type A", very particular, and a perfectionist. My dining room doesn't reflect those characteristics at all; I know. My husband has taught me to relax, rest, and not worry about such meaningless things. Beau often shares his godly revelations with me. This is what he shared:
"What really matters in life is not what job you had or how much money you made. What really matters are the relationships that you had while on earth. All the other stuff won't be remembered." It's true. I don't even remember whether my great-grandmother ever had a job or even what she did if she had one. I do remember that she loved to ask me questions and she liked to watch me and my siblings play on the floor when we visited. She used to make these amazing knitted and crocheted creations. She would let us pick what we liked to take them home. I especially liked the knitted slippers she made. I wish I still had some that fit my feet. 
This got me thinking about what my kids would remember about me. Whatever they remember, I want the memories to be good ones. Not that I had a clean & organized house, but that I let them play and make a mess without hovering over them with a grimace on my face. Not that I worked on my computer for 3 hours in the morning, but that I stopped what I was doing no matter how "important" to care for them. Not that I stood up all the time, but that I got down on their level to talk with them and to play and to read to them. This will be my meditation today, that the Lord would be so gracious to bless us with time and to allow us not to dwell on faults & imperfections. To have a thankful heart and fill our minds with good remembrances. 

0 comments:

Post a Comment

 
© Karrie Drake Photography