Monday, November 28, 2011

Motivation for Monday & Help Portrait


Good Morning! I hope you all had a Happy and satisfying Thanksgiving with your friends and families. We had a lovely Thanksgiving dinner with a minor glitch with the ham. It was my first time ever making ham, ever.  I had no idea what to do. It's a good thing there were directions. A family member had given us a South Hampton dry cured ham over the summer. Well, after reading that it would only keep for 2 months I opened up the pack and there were these white bugs infested all over it. Yuck! I sent Beau out to get another ham. Good thing there was ham left to buy at the store the night before Thanksgiving. He returned with the same kind of ham. I soaked it over night and did all that the directions called for me to do. Cooked it for 3.5 hours and basted it with the water I put on the bottom of the roasting pan. Everything turned out just fine so I'm told. My hubby, my f.i.l., and my littlest super hero ate the ham. Julian and I like to stick to poultry. And that's all I got to say about that ;)
I was watching 60 Minutes last night and saw a story about a family in Central Florida who are living in their truck. The report focused on the children who have to "improvise" with their daily needs, where to bathe, etc.  I can't even fathom that and yet I was listening to this little girl's account of her young life. Now, these are Florida's statistics, but of all the homeless families in Central FL two-thirds live on the streets. One-third of the families without shelter live in FL. I realize that homelessness is everywhere, in every state, province, and country in the world. Hearing it from a child though was more heartbreaking for me than hearing it from a news reporter. I can remember some of these children when I was teaching in the public school system of NC about 5 years ago. The principal of our school informed the teachers who were assigned to breakfast or lunch duty that for some students this would be the only time they would eat all day. What?! I wanted to know who, of course, because I wanted to send these children home with some groceries. We weren't allowed to know who. We just had to be considerate and vigilant of that fact. As I taught through out the course of the year, certain students were highlighted in my mind as I got to know them. For some, creating just brings out "the stuff" that you can't verbally get out. Art is therapeutic. As Picasso once said, "Art washes away the dust of everyday life." I love that quote.
Anyway, this brings me to Help Portrait. Saturday, December 10th, I will be a part of a beautiful giving spree called Help Portrait. It will be located at Reimage Church in Winterville, NC. In short, Help Portrait is for those who are in need. People who are unable to afford a family or personal portrait. There is a few studio set ups, clothes, props, and hair & make-up offered. They will receive a hot meal and a sack meal to take home for later. I am so excited about this event. I can't wait. It's only 2 weeks away. If you or anyone you know would like to donate, please visit this link. Also, please help me pray for this event and all who are involved.

Matthew 25:40 ~ "The King will reply, 'I tell you the truth, whatever you did for one of the least of these brothers of mine, you did for me.'

0 comments:

Post a Comment

 
© Karrie Drake Photography